Swimming Pool Fence Code
Information contained on this page is a general overview of swimming pool codes and may not apply to your local codes. Please check with your local Building Inspector at City Hall and ask about the pool code laws and regulations as they may vary from the B.O.C.A. or I.B.C. standards.
The most important codes are these:
A pool fence must be at least 48" tall
For Ornamental Wrought Iron style fence the minimum distance between the bottom rail and the next existing horizontal rail must be at least 45" ( see diagram ). Most 3-horizontal rail fence styles must be either 54" or 60" depending on the particular fence style and manufacturer.
A 2-rail ornamental fence with a finished height of 48" is available special order.
48 inch tall chain link fence with a tight 1-1/4 inch fabric weave is acceptable for pool enclosures.
Ornamental Pool Fence:
- Distance between vertical pickets must be less than 4".
- Space between the bottom of the fence and the ground must be less than 4".
- If you choose chain link fence for your pool encolsure, a special tightly woven 1-1/4 inch mesh chain link fence fabric is required.
- Gate(s) must be self-closing and self-latching.
- The opening mechanism of the latch must be at least 54" above ground.
- All gates that are accessible to the pool area, MUST open out, away from the pool area.
Objects Outside of the Fence:
Please keep in mind when installing a pool fence, that any objects within 48" of the fence, on the outside of the fence ( pool pumps, deck, lights, large rocks, retaining walls etc.), could technically be used as a step, creating easy access to the pool area.
These codes are in place with the frame of mind to keep people from getting into the pool area, not getting out.
Ornamental Decorative Fence Code detail:
Chain Link Fence is another excellent swimming pool enclosure solution and is available in a tight 1-1/4 inch weave that meets pool code requirements.
The tight weave prevents a child from getting a foot hold, hampering them from climbing over.